Create Knowledge base
Create a knowledge base as a collection of support articles, guides, and FAQs to help inform your customers about your product or service. Depending on your needs, you can create a separate knowledge base for each website you support! Each knowledge base can contain multiple categories and articles in different languages. Learn how to create, customize, and publish your knowledge base below!
How can I create and customize my knowledge base?
If you support more than one website, you might want to create a separate knowledge base. In order to make a new one, go to Administration > Knowledge base and click on the button in the upper right corner of the screen, as pictured below:
Image 1. Create new knowledge base
Once you have done that, a new window will open, and you should fill in the required information. Here’s what you will be asked to define:
Search question – text displayed above the search box. This can be something like “Advice and answers from our team”, which is the default text in the app.
- Search placeholder – text visible in the search box. For example, you can simply use “Search” or “Search our knowledge base”.
- Category text – text displayed above the list of categories.
- Follow us text – text displayed in the bottom left corner, next to the icons linked to your social media profiles.
- Website link text – text displayed in the bottom right corner, where you can add your website’s URL. This will usually be something like “Go to our website”.
- Website link URL – the link to the website your knowledge base is created for.
Image 2. Footer data in Paldesk knowledge base
When you’re done, please make sure to enable your knowledge base and make it public, by clicking on the toggle buttons above the “Main labels” section. Finally, save changes to complete the setup process.
Here’s what that looks like in the app:
Video 1. Create a new knowledge base in Paldesk
How can I edit, share or delete my knowledge base?
Once you have created a new knowledge base, you can select it from the drop-down menu in your administration panel. If you would like to edit or delete an existing knowledge base, you can do that by clicking on one of the buttons in the upper right corner, as seen in the image below:
Image 3. Edit options and knowledge base links
Here’s how you can modify your knowledge base:
- Create a new Knowledge base (folder icon)
- Edit Knowledge base (pencil icon)
- Edit Knowledge base footer data (paper icon)
- Delete the current Knowledge base (x icon)
Finally, when you’ve created and modified your knowledge base settings, click on “Knowledge base links” to share your public or private knowledge base.
- Public knowledge base links are publicly available to anyone with the link. You can share this link with your customers or visitors in a chat, include it in your chatbot or add as a button on your website. Here’s an example of what that looks like: Example public knowledge base
- Private knowledge base links can be used by your agents, to share helpful information and onboarding documents. Such links will not be available to the public.
Image 4. Knowledge base links
How can I add a new language and set the default language?
If you have customers from different countries, you should include articles in various languages to ensure everyone can benefit from your knowledge base. Once you’ve created a new knowledge base, the default language will be English. In order to add a new language, click on the + icon next to the English language button, as pictured below.
Image 5. Create new knowledge base language
Finally, once you have added a new language, you can set the default language. This is the language that will display when your customers open your knowledge base. To set the default language, click on the language icon to select the language and then on the bullseye icon ◎ underneath the “Knowledge base links” button.
Here’s how you add a language and set it as default:
Video 2. Add new language and set as default
And that’s it! You’ve successfully created and customized your new knowledge base! Next, you can create new categories and articles, and customize them depending on your preferences. Learn more about it in these articles: categories and articles.
If you’re more of a visual learner, take a look at one of our video tutorials:
Video 3. Paldesk Knowledge base video tutorial